Tom is Deputy Director and Research Fellow at the Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute (SPERI) at the University of Sheffield. He leads SPERI’s Labour & Decent Work research theme. His SPERI profile page is here.
Tom is a Co-Investigator in the ESRC Centre for Care. His research focuses on trade unions and on understanding contemporary working conditions and their effects for individuals. He is a Senior Fellow of Unions 21. Tom has co-ordinated large academic projects including the Industrial Strategy Commission. He has extensive experience of engaging with national and international policymakers, including cross-party parliamentarians; businesses; think tanks; trade unions; and national media. Before joining the University of Sheffield Tom worked as a Parliamentary Researcher.
- Contemporary working conditions and how they change
- Trade unions
- Industrial relations
- labour rights
- Genevieve LeBaron, Remi Edwards, Tom Hunt, Charline Sempéré and Penelope Kyritsis (2021) ‘The Ineffectiveness of CSR: Understanding Garment Company Commitments to Living Wages in Global Supply Chains’. New Political Economy (https://doi.org/10.1080/13563467.2021.1926954)
- Colin Hay, Tom Hunt and J. Allister McGregor (2020) ‘Inclusive growth: the challenges of multidimensionality and multilateralism’. Cambridge Review of International Affairs (doi.org/10.1080/09557571.2020.1784849) .
- Tom Hunt and Liam Stanley (2019) ‘From ‘There is No Alternative’ to ‘Maybe There are Alternatives’: five Challenges to Economic Orthodoxy after the Crash’. The Political Quarterly (doi.org/10.1111/1467-923X.12707).
- Colin Hay and Tom Hunt (eds) (2018) The Coming Crisis London: Palgrave Macmillan
- Tom Hunt (2021) Under-paid and under-valued: assessing mandatory vaccination for care home workers in England. Sustainable Care Paper 4, CIRCLE, Sheffield: University of Sheffield
- Tom Hunt (2021) Covid-19 and The Work of Unions: New Challenges and New Responses. Unions 21 report.
- Remi Edwards, Tom Hunt and Genevieve LeBaron (2019) Corporate Commitments to Living Wages in the Garment Industry. SPERI & University of Sheffield.
- Colin Hay, Tom Hunt and J. Allister McGregor (2019) Exploring the paradoxes of inclusive growth: towards a developmental, multilateral and multidimensional approach. SPERI & University of Sheffield.
- Tom Hunt and Sean McDaniel (2017) ‘Tackling Insecure Work: political action from around the world’, SPERI report for GMB.